This past Saturday I volunteered at a tennis tournament with my friend Alli and her husband Steve. Our assignment was to usher in the VIP section, which primarily consisted of standing up in between sets when the gates were open to escort the VIPs to their boxes, and sitting down during the action. I got to seat a few people, but overall there wasn’t too much activity in my section. All the media that were covering the event were in my area, so it was neat watching the TV coverage on the news since they had the same vantage point I did during the tournament.

The first match we got to watch was between Thomas Enqvist and Karel Novacek. The second was a doubles exhibition between Jimmy Arias and Chandra Rubin v. Tim Wilkinson and Anna Kournikova. This was a really entertaining match with the players joking around a lot during the sets. At one point Jimmy joked that he had never lost a volley to a girl and he and Anna went back and forth before she finally won the point. He jokingly pulled his shirt over his head in defeat!

The funniest part of the day came after Tim Wilkinson had finished his match with Anna Kournikova and he wanted to come see his family for a few minutes. The Show Pro who was working the entrance by my section wouldn’t let him in without seeing a pass first. His family was right behind me and they all started sending their passes over to him and then she wanted to see his ticket too since they were all willing to give him their passes. (His family did find his credentials with his name pre-printed on them, but I’m not sure that she noticed that part!) I was laughing and he was super nice about it (and he totally could have pulled a “don’t you know who I am?” but refrained.) She didn’t figure it out until one of the tournament officials came over to check on his family and they laughed about how she wouldn’t let him into the stands. It was nice to see everybody getting a good laugh out of it.

The last match was between Todd Martin and Wayne Ferreira and it took FOREVER! They were really evenly matched so the first set went over and then the second one went into a tie-break as well. I don’t really follow tennis so a lot of this was way over my head, but all in all it was a neat experience that made for a very entertaining Saturday.
Super fun – Patrick and I had tickets to attend the Panthers game on Sunday! Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I don’t have any pictures to share but we had so much fun. Patrick had the whole day off (a rarity in his line of work!) so we were able to spend the whole day together! Right before we left for the game Caddy pounced my Panthers sweatshirt, which we took as a good omen for the outcome of the game. The Panthers went on to crush the Falcons 24-9 and did not allow them to score a single touchdown. 3-1 is not a bad way to start the season!
The first match we got to watch was between Thomas Enqvist and Karel Novacek. The second was a doubles exhibition between Jimmy Arias and Chandra Rubin v. Tim Wilkinson and Anna Kournikova. This was a really entertaining match with the players joking around a lot during the sets. At one point Jimmy joked that he had never lost a volley to a girl and he and Anna went back and forth before she finally won the point. He jokingly pulled his shirt over his head in defeat!
The funniest part of the day came after Tim Wilkinson had finished his match with Anna Kournikova and he wanted to come see his family for a few minutes. The Show Pro who was working the entrance by my section wouldn’t let him in without seeing a pass first. His family was right behind me and they all started sending their passes over to him and then she wanted to see his ticket too since they were all willing to give him their passes. (His family did find his credentials with his name pre-printed on them, but I’m not sure that she noticed that part!) I was laughing and he was super nice about it (and he totally could have pulled a “don’t you know who I am?” but refrained.) She didn’t figure it out until one of the tournament officials came over to check on his family and they laughed about how she wouldn’t let him into the stands. It was nice to see everybody getting a good laugh out of it.
The last match was between Todd Martin and Wayne Ferreira and it took FOREVER! They were really evenly matched so the first set went over and then the second one went into a tie-break as well. I don’t really follow tennis so a lot of this was way over my head, but all in all it was a neat experience that made for a very entertaining Saturday.
Super fun – Patrick and I had tickets to attend the Panthers game on Sunday! Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I don’t have any pictures to share but we had so much fun. Patrick had the whole day off (a rarity in his line of work!) so we were able to spend the whole day together! Right before we left for the game Caddy pounced my Panthers sweatshirt, which we took as a good omen for the outcome of the game. The Panthers went on to crush the Falcons 24-9 and did not allow them to score a single touchdown. 3-1 is not a bad way to start the season!
2 comments:
Is it really horrible of me to say that the only player I even know that you mentioned is Anna K?!?!
So Jen, I just realized that I can actually respond to your comments here. I am such an idiot when it comes to this stuff!
If it helps, I didn't know who any of those players were before the tournament either. It was a really cool event, but I think the only tennis I've ever watched before this was Wimbledon when I was a kid who just wanted to watch soap operas during summer vacation and they always went off the air for a week when the tournament was on!
Post a Comment