

So I have some pretty exciting news...last night Ethan went a little over 8 hours between feedings! I was shocked when I woke up and saw what time it was!!! Of course, here's the not great news - he went to sleep immediately following his feeding at 6:00 pm and woke up at 2:30 am ready for the next feeding (so it wasn't quite sleeping through the night for me!) He usually eats again following that 6 pm feeding at 9:00 (and following that feeding is when he's gone anywhere from 3 - 5 hours for his next feeding) but last night he was sleeping so soundly at 10:00 that Patrick and I went to bed and figured that he would wake me up at anytime so I wasn't going to worry about getting him up for that feeding. If only he would sleep like this following that feeding we would be in business. (And that is of course assuming that he will do this again sometime soon...this may have been an isolated incident for the time being.) If he does sleep like this again (oh please!!!!) do you think I should wake him up around that 9:00 feeding time to see if I can get him to eat again and then settle in for a longer sleep? He usually sleeps the entire time between the 6:00 and 9:00 feedings so maybe I should try to keep him up during that time? He went right back to sleep following his 2:30 am breakfast, but I would so LOVE to not see the alarm clock anywhere between the 1 and 4 am hours. I'll let you know how tonight goes, and maybe we'll need to start making some adjustments so that we can say that mommy and daddy slept through the night too (assuming he does this again, that is.) In any event, it is still exciting to see that there is FINALLY a light at the end of this sleep deprived tunnel.
Oh, and here's something scary that had me mildly freaked - so we always put him in his crib for his evening nap, so last night he did this great sleep in his nursery. We put him down laying length wise in his crib and when we checked on him before laying down for what I thought would be a 20 minute nap or so at 10 pm we straightened him out because he was laying at a diagnol. When I got up at 2:30 he was laying completely straight but sideways in his crib (head and feet touching the bumpers on the crib slat sides instead of pointing towards the head and foot of the crib.) Ummm...this has me really worried about something happening to him in the crib. Should I be concerned about this?! I delayed putting him in the crib because I was scared of it (you hear of so many freak accidents that occur in a crib) so he's only been napping in the crib for a few weeks. He goes right to sleep in it (I think he likes it better than his pack n play in our room) so I've been relaxing about it a bit but last night scared me - what if his little face ended up pressed against that bumper and he couldn't breathe?! Should I remove the bumper? Is it safe to have his head exposed to the crib slats like that? So many questions...
Oh, and here's something scary that had me mildly freaked - so we always put him in his crib for his evening nap, so last night he did this great sleep in his nursery. We put him down laying length wise in his crib and when we checked on him before laying down for what I thought would be a 20 minute nap or so at 10 pm we straightened him out because he was laying at a diagnol. When I got up at 2:30 he was laying completely straight but sideways in his crib (head and feet touching the bumpers on the crib slat sides instead of pointing towards the head and foot of the crib.) Ummm...this has me really worried about something happening to him in the crib. Should I be concerned about this?! I delayed putting him in the crib because I was scared of it (you hear of so many freak accidents that occur in a crib) so he's only been napping in the crib for a few weeks. He goes right to sleep in it (I think he likes it better than his pack n play in our room) so I've been relaxing about it a bit but last night scared me - what if his little face ended up pressed against that bumper and he couldn't breathe?! Should I remove the bumper? Is it safe to have his head exposed to the crib slats like that? So many questions...
3 comments:
Don't let it scare you. Let's see what he does this weekend and I can see the setup of the crib and maybe give you some advice. Have some thoughts on feeding too, but I'll tell you tomorrow :) :) :)
Do you have a sleep positioner? That would keep him from moving all over the place. Just thought.
I have lots of comments!
Charlotte sleeps 7-8 hours in a row now - from 10-5 or 10-6 (then she goes back to sleep until 8 or 9.) She is most definitely not asleep between her 6 and 9pm feedings - that would be awesome if she was though since that is when she's the most fussy - but if she does fall asleep before her last feeding then I do wake her up to get her to eat some, and she always goes back to sleep. Even though you're not supposed to wake a sleeping baby, you should try it and see what happens. :) It's really nice for you that you get quiet time in the early evenings right now though!
Charlotte has slept in her crib since day 1, so don't be afraid of it! I think they are very safe places for babies to sleep. I do not use a bumper at all because of SIDS risk...also, Jennifer probably hasn't heard this yet, but sleep positioners were just in the news last week for being recalled by the FDA for SIDS risk, so don't use one!
Post a Comment