Since this past Monday was Labor Day, my mom and sister Carolyn came to visit for the day and we took Ethan out to his first lunch at a restaurant. As he gets older we'll get to teach him all about being a gentleman while out at lunch, but for now he slept peacefully in his carrier while we enjoyed a fantastic lunch together. It was wonderful having my mom and sister here and it makes me realize how much fun it would be to all live in the same city again. Not that Charlotte is all that far from Cary, but it would be wonderful to get to see my family more than once a month! At least they are fairly local though...Bethany is all the way in San Diego which makes it impossible to see her frequently :( It was so nice to finally take Ethan out of the house but I realized something while we were out and about - I have become a paranoid super freak about germs around him. I turned his carrier to face the other direction when I saw kids approaching, I made sure we sat in a back booth so that nobody would bother him and when I ran in (alone) to Target once Patrick got home I noticed every cough and sneeze of the other children shopping in the store. I'm sure I'll get over this sometime soon, but there was a definite irony in the fact that all I've been wanting to do lately is bring him out of the house and as soon as we were out I was nervous about everything.
Ethan continues to love his activity gym, so here are a few pics of him enjoying his (current) favorite toy:


This past week consisted of two different calls to the pediatrician's office as well. I swore I would not be one of those crazy moms who called about every little thing, but alas, I want to ensure that I am doing everything right (Type A, much?!) and so I think I must admit that I am becoming one of "those" moms. Oh well! Yesterday I called to get some advice in dealing with a condition that has been identified as cradle cap. Poor Ethan's head looked like he was developing dandruff and I wasn't sure what the best course of action was. A quick phone call with a nurse got us on the right path and although this condition is common and should clear up on its own, I now have some special lotion to apply to his head as well. Then today the poor little guy just has not been himself...he's been pretty fussy, only wanting to be held (I broke my own rules and held him for an entire one of his naps just to comfort him) and had a low grade fever (99.2). He wasn't nursing all the well either and would stop to cry in the middle of the feeding. Through conversations with the nurse I think I've isolated the cause of his distress - I ate a wonderful strata that my mom made and brought for us yesterday and today and we think that all the milk, egg, and cheese upset his little tummy. He's doing MUCH better now, but I hope that this doesn't mean he'll have allergies one day. I really don't want to have to deal with all that nonsense in the future.
And here's today's holy grossness story - in order to get the best read of a newborn's temperature you are supposed to use a rectal thermometer. I'm following all the doctor's orders and faithfully used the rectal thermometer even though I would much prefer to use something like the ear thermometer. I was waiting the whole 10 seconds that it takes to get a read when I realized that Ethan was pooping - thank goodness I had a diaper under him and a big mess was not made. Gracious - this child is going to be the end of me in the gross department. Somehow it's okay when it's your own child though...I never really understood that before.
Ethan continues to reward us with beautiful smiles and I am loving every minute of it. I'll try to capture it on film here in the not too distant future and share how cute his little gummy grin is with all of you.
1 comment:
I love reading his updates and can't wait to get down there and love on that little guy. He's such a cutie. Morgan had cradle cap for over a month. It was so nasty, but it will pass. I used to pick at it while I was nursing her :) Ewww, I know, that's gross. Loved the story about the poop. You're right, gross takes on a whole new meaning once you have a kid. Just wait until he decides to take off his diaper and smear the contents all over his crib. Morgan didn't do that, but a kid I used to babysit did that while I was watching her. It was NASTY with a capital N!
PS--Don't worry so much about the germs....he's got to be exposed to them a little so he'll build up an immunity to it. It'll be OK, I promise. And as time goes on you'll relax a bit too. Don't sweat the small stuff.
PSS--I officially hate you for being so damn skinny! :)
Post a Comment