Friday, August 20, 2010

What a Day!

So yesterday was an interesting day with my sweet little Ethan. Evidently (and I was completely unaware of this!) a baby is capable of spitting up the entire contents of their stomach...and then some! Ethan hasn't been much of a spit up baby up to this point, so I was mistakenly lulled into a false sense of contentment thinking that my child is not one of those really spitty babies. While he hasn't had an incident at all yet today (and it's already lunch time) I am no longer living under the false impression that it will not happen to me...it can and will happen again one day :)

Yesterday immediately following his first morning feeding while I was looking into his precious little eyes he looked up at me and launched a small projectile spit up directly in my face. Oh my! I will say that when it is your own child (and just baby spit up...we'll revisit this discussion one day when it's actual vomit!) it is not nearly as awful as it sounds, but it was still surprising. So I cleaned myself up and we went about our business for the day. Then, after his next feeding I was carrying him through the living room when my little angel went all exorcist on me and decided to empty the entire contents of his stomach all over me, his outfit, the carpet, etc. I was shocked that so much spit up could come out of one little person. At first it really scared me because I thought that something was wrong, but I've been told that this is not completely unheard of and not to panic. We were both soaked. What a day!

Aside from the great spit up of 2010, Ethan continues to do really well in his third week of life. I finally got his birth announcements ordered so I should be sending those out sometime next week. I realize that I am behind with this project, but it took me forever to pick the ones that I wanted, decide on the pictures, etc. etc. I think I am living life perpetually behind these days but I am surpirsingly okay with that. He finally fits into his newborn clothes and so I have been having fun dressing him in all of his sweet little outfits. (Although after yesterday's incident, he spent the remainder of the day in a plain onesie!) We are really adjusting well to life together, and starting next week all the company will have returned home and we'll be home alone together (for the most part - we have some visits scheduled with some wonderful friends to which I am really looking forward!) I am so excited about getting to be a stay at home mommy with this little guy and getting our daily routine established. I'll try to post some of my favorites from his newborn photo shoot here in the not too distant future too. We'll see how long it takes me to get this project completed!

1 comment:

Mama10EE said...

Sounds like you had a great day :) Just be on the look out for the "completely up the back and down the arms" poop. It WILL happen. :) :)