So as you can see I’ve taken a bit of hiatus (for the year,
really!) from blogging. This makes me
sad because I love looking back and reading about all the fun and funny things
we experience as a family. There is no
way that I can possibly catch up on everything on here that we’ve had going on
the past couple of months, so I’m picking up with what is going on currently
and if I can find the time I’ll hit the highlights of June-August in the Strain
household sometime soon.
The biggest news is that last week Ethan started
preschool! He’s only going two mornings
a week, so it’s not like we’re apart too much or anything, but this full time
stay at home mommy did not know what to do on Thursday when I was home alone
for an extended period for the first time in years. On Tuesday (his first official day) Patrick
and I dropped him off together and thank goodness for my wonderful husband
because I was an emotional wreck. I
teared up as we left the building and remained teary throughout our breakfast
date and while we ran errands together.
Ethan and I aren’t really away from each other too often, so it felt so
strange to leave him.
Let me pause by saying that I LOVE Ethan’s preschool. I have had several friends send their
children here, and I told Patrick that if we couldn’t get Ethan in this year we
would just wait until next year to try to enroll him because this was the only
place I wanted him to be. When we went
to register him all the “younger 2” classes were already booked up (and we were
within the first 10 people in line for the 2’s!) but we were able to get him a
spot in one of the “mixed 2” classes. We
weren’t entirely sure if we wanted him the younger or mixed class, so we’re
hoping that this is just what is meant to be.
His preschool is HUGE (850 kids!) but there are only 9 other children in
his class and both of his teachers are so nice and sweet. Ethan met them the first time when they came
to our house for the home visit (yes, each teacher visits every student at home
prior to orientation!) and again on orientation day when each student goes to
their classroom for an hour while the parents go to a welcome meeting. Ethan has excitedly been saying “Meees Amy”
all week, but hasn’t quite mastered Ms. Heather yet.
Okay, so Tuesday morning…I was expecting Ethan to march
right into his classroom since that is what he did at orientation, but on
Tuesday he started crying and had to be handed over to his teacher in
tears. Thankfully it lasted just a
minute and he was happily playing by the time we left the parking lot. He did the same thing on Thursday so I of
course teared up as I was walking away from my crying boy (who said “Mommy,
Mommy!) His teacher shot me a text that
showed him playing happily that I got while driving out of the parking lot, so
at least I know that he is having lots of fun and the tears subside pretty
quickly, but it still breaks my heart to leave him like that. Hopefully this Tuesday will go a little more
smoothly.
We got a copy of the daily schedule when we picked Ethan up
as well as the calendar for the month. I
love knowing what books, Bible stories, snack and art projects they will be
working on each day because it helps me ask Ethan really specific questions
about what he did that day. (This school
is just fantastic!) It's also nice to be able to know when he's in art, on the playground, having circle time, etc.
When we went to pick Ethan up on Tuesday he ran into my arms
for a huge hug, which was awesome. These
types of greetings have always been reserved for Patrick, so this Mommy felt
pretty special to see how happy Ethan was to see me coming to pick him up. I think this is going to be a great experience
for Ethan, and it will definitely give me a bit more time to get the things
done that I need to do. Being a work at
home mom can be stressful at times, and getting a few more hours to get my work
done will certainly help alleviate some of the pressure I’ve been under
lately. So, without further adieu, here
are a few pics from Ethan’s very first
day of preschool:
 |
| Happily eating his breakfast before getting ready for preschool |
 |
| Posing with his backpack (looks a little sleepy, huh?!) |
 |
| Getting ready to head out to the car |
 |
| On the way... |
 |
| Walking in (with one of the playgrounds in the background) |
 |
| Love this silly shot of him sticking out his tongue :) |
 |
| Looking into his classroom and saying goodbye to Daddy |
 |
| Saying goodbye to Mommy (and yes, I am squeezing him that hard!) |
 |
| The entrance we use...Ethan is in the downstairs portion of the preschool this year |
 |
| Picking up Ethan...he was happily enjoying some table toys when we showed up! |
 |
| So excited to be picking up my boy!!! |
 |
| Patrick wasn't so sure about a backpack with his name embroidered on it...I was happy to see that 7 of the 10 backpacks had names embroidered on them! |
 |
| Posing with his bookbag |
 |
| So serious :) |
 |
| Ethan is mildly obsessed with the dishwasher...not sure why! Here he is with Daddy before we left to drop him off for the day |
 |
| He's so tiny...I think he's all grown up but this tiny little bookbag is almost too big for him! |
 |
| The entrance to Ethan's preschool |
 |
| All the little backpacks lined up outside his classroom along with their very first art project |
 |
| ...which of course had to be hung on the fridge! (And I should note that he attends WEE school, so they did not spell "Wee" incorrectly on his artwork!) |
And of course, I wrote a letter to Ethan the night before he started. Here it is:
Dear Ethan,
Well tomorrow morning we are taking you to preschool for
the very first time. This is your very
first step of independence, and the first of many steps and milestones that you
will achieve. We have found a very
special school for you, full of amazing, loving teachers that are committed to
helping you learn, grow and flourish. As
your mommy it is hard for me to let you go, even if it is just a bit and I know
that it is the first of many times I’ll have to let go. You are my angel (our very best good thing)
and I cannot believe that we aren’t going to be together all day every day from
now on. I have enjoyed each and every
moment, tantrums and all, of our special time together and I am so grateful
that I have been given the opportunity to stay home with you and be your mommy
full time. You are such an amazing
little guy and I am so proud of you. I
hope that you love preschool and I cannot wait to see all that you will learn
this year, the friends that you will make, and what changes this year will
bring. Each new stage has brought such
joy and I love watching you evolve and grow.
I am so honored and blessed to have been called to be your mommy, and I
pray this this will be an amazing new experience for you. I love you with all my heart!
No comments:
Post a Comment