Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The first steps...

Yesterday afternoon, Ethan reached another milestone...he took his very first independent steps. Patrick and I were both upstairs with Ethan when he decided to take his first tentative steps! It was such a joyful moment and I'm so happy that we were able to share in the excitement together. Ethan was standing up with Patrick in front of him, arms outstretched, and I was sitting behind Ethan when all of a sudden he put one foot in front of the other for a few baby steps before he sat down. We stood him back up again (this time with camcorder in hand!) and he took another couple of steps before he sat down again. He is definitely not "walking" yet, but I know that is now just around the corner. My baby really is growing up. This is extremely bittersweet...I love celebrating each new achievement with my growing boy, but part of me just wants to freeze time and keep him just like this forever.

When Patrick's Aunt Elizabeth came for a visit for Ethan's first birthday, she brought with her a poem that I have been hanging onto to share when Ethan decided that it was time to take his first steps. I thought it was so sweet! I'm not sure of the author, but here's the poem:

Last night I held my arms to you
And you held yours to mine
And started out to march to me
As any soldier fine.
You lifted up your little feet
And laughingly advanced;
And I stood there and gazed upon
Your first wee steps, entranced.

You gooed and gurgled as you came
Without a sign of fear;
As though you knew, your journey o'er,
I'd greet you with a cheer.
And, what is more, you seemed to know,
Although you are so small,
That I was there, with eager arms,
To save you from a fall.

Three tiny steps you took, and then,
Disaster and dismay!
Your over-confidence had led
Your little feet astray.
You did not see what we could see
Nor fear what us alarms;
You stumbled, but ere you could fall
I caught you in my arms.

You little tyke, in days to come
You'll bravely walk alone,
And you may have to wander paths
Where dangers lurk unknown.
And, Oh, I pray that then, as now,
When accidents befall
You'll still remember that I'm near
To save you from a fall.

1 comment:

Mama10EE said...

Holy moley! He walked!! That's awesome. Can't wait to see the video Mama!!