Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Healthy Food?!?!
So I have been killing myself the past several months to ensure that Ethan is eating a healthy, balanced diet. Each day I make sure that he gets the right amount of fruits, vegetables, protein, etc. I also work really hard to make sure that he gets a wide variety of each of the food groups, rather than sticking to just a few basics. (I am sometimes envious of the meals I am putting together for him, because in an effort to save money Patrick and I aren't eating this well most of the time!) This child has gotten to eat so many different, wonderful foods, so imagine my disappointment yesterday, when in a mom of the year moment, I decided that I was too tired to make a proper lunch and decided to give my child his very first hot dog. (Now it was all beef if that makes any difference, but I'm not so sure.) He LOVED it! Devoured it, if you will. So why, oh why, have I been working so hard to feed him so well? Evidently, I have been depriving him of the food that he thinks is heaven on earth! I think he was trying to tell me that it is okay to eat junk (in moderation) and that sometimes it is okay to be a lazy mom. Perhaps I can relax just a bit on the food regime?! (I read somewhere that the nutrition a child receives in the first year or two of life has a huge impact on their metabolism, food tolerance, etc. for the rest of their lives, but I'm not actually sure if that's true or not.) In any event, I think that maybe I've been way too strict with Ethan's diet and eating foods like hot dogs sometimes really isn't that big of a deal. Boy would this make life easier on me! Thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You are being too hard on yourself! Hot dogs are fine in moderation. Don't worry so much about him. He's a very healthy kid and he should be eating what you all eat. As long as you eat together and maintain somewhat of a healthy meal status, you will be fine. You are MOM of the YEAR for trying to hard for this long!
Just as an example....Patrick and I eat horribly, as evidenced by how heavy we both are. But I tried hard with Morgan to make sure she ate properly. 99% of the time she will choose fruit or cheese or applesauce for a snack rather than cookies or candy. In fact, she still thinks granola bars are candy bars! :) So you are doing fine my dear. Don't worry so much.
Oh my gosh Graham has had hot dogs twice this week!! Oh and Easy Mac is my new favorite lazy food. I steam some veggies to put in it, but still it is Easy Mac!! :) Don't worry about it so much! We all have our days that we can't prepare the perfect meal and the day is coming very soon that the perfectly prepared meal you just spent all that time preparing will be spit out and throw across the room. Ha! Talk about frustrating.
Oh and Graham also LOVES hot dogs. French fries, cookies, all that junk food. Moderation is the key for sure.
Post a Comment