Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Caddy Update

First of all, thank you all so much for praying for our Caddy. I don't think there has ever been a cat with more people praying for and checking in on her. All of you calling, emailing, texting, and checking on her progress has been so encouraging for Patrick and I. This has been a pretty difficult ordeal, but Caddy has made significant improvements!

She is no longer on any of her prescriptions (and she is finally done with the fluid treatments - thank goodness!) She did okay with the fluids initially, but those last couple of days were pretty difficult and if you could have heard the cries she was making you would have thought we were torturing her. Her energy level has gotten much better, but she's still not quite back to the activity level she was at before this happened. Every day brings more progress though, so we are hopeful that one day she will be running wild again. She has not vomited in two weeks now, which is another great indication of her recovery.

She will go back to the vet next week for some additional blood tests, which should help us determine what her long term treatment will be. The vet did indicate that Caddy will need blood work every 6 months once she is fully recovered, just to keep an eye on all her levels. If something abnormal occurs again they want to be able to catch it early so she doesn't get as bad as she did this time. I'm pretty scared about what her results will be, but her initial blood work came back okay so hopefully this is just a precaution.

The hardest part now (and this is extremely selfish on my part, so if this is the only thing that remains I will be forever grateful) is that Caddy is not too thrilled with me these days. She has always preferred me (the one kitty that loved me best!) but as she recovers she is reluctant to let me pick her up or pet her. Patrick can do both of these without a problem, but she is shying away from me. She'll still nuzzle me and purr, but I really miss my "Caddy Cuddles." I hope that as she continues to recover she'll forgive me for everything we had to put her through (all the trips to the vets, the medications, the sitting with her for hours to encourage her to eat!) and will be "my" kitty again. Like I said, that is totally selfish but I really miss the special bond that we always shared.

I'm really sorry that I haven't been keeping up with this blog the way that I should be lately. With everything that has been going on with Caddy, it has been hard for me to talk about since for awhile I really was not sure that she was going to recover. Those of you with pets understand how they really are a part of your family, and my heart ached watching her suffer and not being able to do anything for her.

I'll keep you posted on the results of her follow up blood work and maybe I'll actually start blogging again sometime soon as well!

No comments: