I'm starting to realize that I'm not very good about keeping this blog up to date. I have things I mean to write in here, and then I forget or get busy with something else and before I know it a week or two have gone by! Last Friday was a really great day. It was the last day our headquarters in Raleigh was open and it was such a great, positive send off for everybody there.
The day started off with a great breakfast (you really can't beat the chicken minis from Chick-fil-A and doughnuts!) and then we broke into teams for a scavenger hunt. The two girls that put the scavenger hunt together did an awesome job. Our office was in a mixed use shopping center so most of the items we needed to collect were from the various stores and restaurants there. It was so detailed - we needed to get things like an item a store was going to throw away (a restaurant gave us a bathroom stall latch that was broken!), find out who was on the cover of some obscure video game, print a wedding registry, find out what the sandwich special was at Harris Teeter, count the number of parking spaces beside JC Penney, take a picture of the entire team on one treadmill at the gym, find the brand of shampoo that was $67.49 (available at a hair salon and yes, this does exist!), and the list just keeps going. We had a blast and my team ended up winning!
All throughout the day there was a silent auction going on for a lot of the fixed assets in the office and I was involved in several written bidding wars. I ended up with three paintings from the office (for a very reasonable price!) and so I'm excited that there will be a piece of our old office at home with me in my new office when I make the switch to working from home full time in January. There were also trivia games to see how much we knew about each other and our company history and fun facts. (One question was what do Melanie and Alli have hanging on their office wall. A huge Carolina Panthers flag of course!) We also got to guess who the employee was in the baby pictures that were brought in and play a few other games before it was time to leave.
I'm really glad that the last day in the office was such a fun one. It was a fitting way for a company that was based on "working to live, not living to work" to close its doors. I will certainly miss all of these incredible people, but I know that the future is bright for each of these talented individuals.
On Sunday Patrick and I went to the Carolina Panthers game. We played the Detroit Lions (who are terrible!) but they gave us a scare early on when they took an early lead. Of course the Panthers came back and defeated them and now the team is 8-2. The hard part of the schedule is coming up and we face our division rivals, the Atlanta Falcons, on Sunday so now is the time to really show everybody what Panthers football is all about. For having such a good record so far, nobody really ever pays attention to the Panthers which makes it a fun team to cheer for - you really want to see the underdog succeed!
Earlier tonight Patrick and I went to the hospital to visit a friend of mine who just had a baby. This was an experience unlike any other - I got to hold a tiny, precious, perfect 2 day old infant. I could have watched her sleep all night! I'm really glad that Patrick got to come too, but he was too scared to hold the baby. He said his rule is that if it can't support its own head, he refuses to touch it. He looked genuinely frightened at the idea of holding the baby. She was such a beautiful baby (and I usually don't think babies are all that cute.) Maybe one day he'll change his mind about babies....but until that time I will continue to spoil my pets which they don't seem to mind one bit!
Tomorrow I'm heading to Asheville to spend the weekend with my dear friend Lindsay. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going to remember my camera (I hope!) so I should have some pictures to post when I get back. Lindsay and I have known each other for years, and became especially close when we were in graduate school, bonding over ex-boyfriend woes and studying all hours of the day and night for the CPA exam. We seem to always go through major life events at the same time (engagements, job changes, death of a pet, the list goes on!) so it's really nice to be able to share these things together. I can't wait to see her tomorrow and for all the fun things we have planned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That sounds like a really great last day! And I am SOOO jealous that you get to work from home full time! I would kill for a job like that. That is great for a new mom...hint hint (even though Patrick says he won't hold a newborn, it's totally different when it is your OWN newborn).
Post a Comment