This past weekend Ethan and I took a road trip up to Pennsylvania/West Virginia to visit with my childhood friend Jennifer and her wonderful family. Let me start by saying that Patrick was supposed to join us (we already rescheduled once to accomodate a last minute change at work for him) and work once again interfered so this time Ethan and I decided to power on without him. Yes, my friends, I took a 7 hour each way road trip with a 15 month old by myself. I know this may not sound like much to many people, but I am pretty proud of myself for taking on this challenge. I am even prouder of Ethan for being such a wonderful car passenger. On the ride up, he slept for about an hour or so, and then woke up and played and entertained himself for about two hours before we stopped in Beckley, WV. I would pass a toy or book back to Ethan, and he would play or "read" for awhile before tossing it aside and I would pass back a new toy or book. About 10 minutes before we stopped he started to get a little grumpy (whining, not much crying thank goodness!) and so we stopped at McDonald's for a diaper change and lunch. Splitting lunch with Ethan was fun - I got him a nuggets happy meal with apple slices (for me), a fruit and yogurt parfait (for Ethan) and a chicken sandwich for me. I had milk for him already in a sippy cup so I got to use the drink that came with the happy meal. I haven't really eaten at a McDonald's in forever, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much both Ethan and I enjoyed our little meal together!
After stretching our legs a bit, we hopped back in the car and finished up the remaining three hours. Ethan did pretty well, and I forgot to mention earlier that he especially enjoyed the tunnels. He went kid-a-tonic in them, just looking all around. It was pretty funny! We were both so excited to finally arrive in PA, and we were warmly greeted by Jennifer, Patrick and my (I know I'm biased here, but it's the truth!) most adorable goddaughter Morgan. We spent a little bit of time catching up and visiting, and then we were off to a WVU basketball game.
When we got home it was time to put the kids (and the parents!) to bed, and Saturday morning Morgan and I got some serious playtime in. We had a "hideout" that she made in her room for us to play Barbies in, we made up different words on her fridge phonics game (see below...lovely shot of me, ha!) and Ethan entertained himself with Morgan's toy kitchen. At one point he even took out the sink and brought it to Aunt Jen...he literally brought her the kitchen sink :)
Morgan also continued to entertain Ethan with a silly face (see below) anytime he looked even the least bit upset. He would laugh so hard (deep belly laughs) at his silly godsister. She was a big help with keeping Ethan entertained all weekend so the adults could visit. I kept asking if she wanted to come back to NC with me, but somehow I ended up having to leave her in PA :(
The ride home Sunday afternoon/evening was pretty uneventful. Ethan slept for the first two hours, and then was able to entertain himself for another two so we were able to make it through all of WV and both tunnels before finally stopping for a dinner break. After dinner he drifted off to dreamland (even though it was only about 6:30) and he slept for the last two hours of the trip, making it a pretty easy drive for me. When we got home he was not happy to see Daddy and kept reaching out his arms for me. I told Patrick that's what he got for missing the trip, but it was pretty heartbreaking because I know how much Patrick missed him while he was gone. All was soon forgiven and Ethan stayed up playing for about an hour or so before he was finally ready for bed. It was such a great visit with such dear friends, and I am sad that it's already over. Thankfully we'll see them again in January, and I can't wait!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment