

And here are just a few of my favorites from his newborn photo shoot (8 days old):




Dear Ethan,
Well, baby boy, today is your very first birthday. As you grow older and celebrate each year of your life with parties and cake and friends and family, your mommy will always take a moment to remember the events that brought you into our lives on this very special day. July 26 was a day that changed all of our lives forever. This day will always be so very special to me because it was on this day that I became your mommy. What a wonderful gift that you have given me.
Although it has been an entire year, the events of this day are still so vivid in my mind. I remember waking up at 3 am and thinking that I would put a few extra items in the hospital bag, just in case the mild pain I was starting to feel was actually labor. I remember your daddy jumping out of bed and me telling him to go back to sleep because I wasn’t sure that it was really time. I remember calling the doctor’s office to let them know I thought I was having contractions, and turning around to see that your daddy had already packed up the whole car and was ready to take us to the hospital. I remember being so excited on that special day. In the days leading up to the day of your birth, mommy was really scared and nervous, but from the moment I woke up thinking that this could be it I was not scared once. I remember how quickly the time passed once we were in the hospital, and being shocked when I realized how many hours had actually passed. I remember our very first encounter – I was resting in between pushes and had no idea that you had actually come out (you never were much of a crier!) and my hand brushing something wet on my stomach. I had no idea that you had arrived! I remember the very first moments that I got to cradle you in my arms and you looked up at me with your trusting eyes and all I could think was that life could not ever get any better than it was at that exact moment in time. I remember looking over at you in your hospital bassinet the next day in complete awe of how tiny and perfect you were. That night we got some very special cuddle time, just you and me Mr. Bug, and with you all squished up in your little tree frog pose sleeping on my chest I knew that being your mommy was exactly what I was meant to do in life.
This first year together has been so wonderful. You are such a happy baby, and have been pretty easy on your daddy and I so far. You rarely cry, although as you are approaching toddlerhood you will definitely break out the tears if mommy takes something away from you that you think you need to have! You are finding your little personality more and more each day, and it is such a joy to watch you learn and discover new things. You get so excited, clap your little hands against your legs and grin from ear to ear when you want to celebrate an accomplishment.
Your very first favorite toy was your elephant rattle we named “Mo” in honor of your godsister, Morgan, who gave it to you. As a newborn, you really enjoyed spending time laying on your activity gym and staring at yourself in the mirror. You still enjoy watching yourself in the mirror, although now that you’re so active you don’t really sit still from the moment you wake up until you’re ready to go back to sleep again! Your favorite toy now is your Cars bouncy ball…you are learning to say the word “ball” and when we ask you where your ball is you will crawl all around until you are able to find where we’ve hidden it. You are learning so much so fast and it’s truly amazing to watch you figure out new things each day.
You have never really liked being held like a baby. From day one, you always wanted to be cuddled in the upright position, with your little head resting on my shoulder. You napped like this for the first six months of your life. Yes, you were cuddled for almost every nap for almost six months. I realize I established this “bad” habit, but I don’t regret one second of time that we spent cuddling like that because even now you are already too big to do that all the time. I’m so glad that we had so much bonding time together, and I hope that you will always take just a minute to give your mommy (well, I guess by the time you’re old enough to ready this I’ll just be mom…tear!) a hug. I love when you are playing and will all of a sudden reach your little arms up to me for a hug. There is nothing better than snuggles from my little gentleman!
You love splashing, and we’ve taken several trips to the pool together this summer. Bath time is lots of fun, and you’ve figured out that you can splash water over the sides of your baby tub into the big bath tub which you think is hilarious. Daddy definitely gives better baths than mommy (I think I’m all business and daddy has bath games and playing figured out!)
You are a great eater and we haven’t found a food yet that you won’t eat. Prunes were your very first favorite food (you read that correctly…prunes!) and lately you’ve taken to begging for whatever food is on my plate. I will indulge you and give you a bite or two of my food, and we’ve discovered that your favorite adult food is bread. You have some strange food tastes
Mommy’s special nickname for you is Mr. Bug. I’m not exactly sure where it came from, but I’ve been calling you that pretty much since the day we left the hospital. I guess it encompasses all the cute little nicknames for you – cuddlebug, doodlebug, lovebug, etc. You have plenty of other nicknames already, and I’m sure you will get plenty more as the years go by, but Mr. Bug will always be your mommy’s special name for you.
I have so many favorite memories of our first year together. I’ve recorded a lot of the stories in your baby book, on my blog (which I’m going to have put into a book to have a written “journal” of the first year of your life as well), in your calendar, in countless photos and videos, but I feel so sad that so many of our everyday moments are lost in time. I don’t want to forget one single second of this year because it has truly been the most amazing year of our lives. You are such a gift to your daddy and me. I am struggling to find the right words to convey just how very much you mean to us, and how blessed we are to have you in our lives. I don’t want you to ever doubt, not for one single second, just how very loved you are. You are special, important, and you matter more to us than you will probably ever know.
As you enter your toddler years I am looking forward to seeing you grow into a little boy, although I am sad to be saying goodbye to your babyhood. I pray that you keep your easygoing nature and enjoy learning and growing all the new things that this year will bring. By the time that I write this letter next year, you will be walking and talking and I’ll probably find it hard to imagine that you were ever as small as you are right now (although at this very moment in time you seem so very grown up to me.) Your words right now consist of: mama, dada, daddy, baby and ball. You are crawling and cruising like a champion, but no independent steps yet.
As you continue to grow, I pray that you will always act with integrity, treat others with respect, put forth your best effort and maybe, just maybe, keep your cuddly, affectionate nature. I pray that you are always confident in the love that your parents have for you. Most of all, I pray that you develop a strong faith and relationship with God. I will never forget the Saturday night I sat in church praying specifically for you. (Daddy and I went to church together on Saturday nights back in those days since Daddy worked on Sunday mornings and we wanted to attend Mass together.) I prayed that if it was God’s will for me to be a mommy that it would happen and that if it was not for me to find acceptance with that as well. I was very at peace with leaving it completely in His hands (which was very hard for your control freak mommy) and just a few short days later we found out that mommy was pregnant with you. What an absolute miracle! I remember the specifics of that conversation with God and I have no doubt in my mind that you truly are a special gift from God and that He has big plans for you. I’m so blessed and honored that I get to be part of your journey.
On this, your very first birthday my tiny little love, I hope that you know how special you are. I look forward to all that the coming years will bring us as a family, and I want to thank you for being such a wonderful and incredible son. How truly wonderful life is, now that you’re in the world. I love you, my sweet Mr. Bug.
Love,
Mommy

1 comment:
So very sweet, that wonderful letter to your son. I know it will touch his heart for many years to come. Happy Birthday sweet Ethan.
Post a Comment