Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mid-Week Update

Since my family is going to be in town this weekend and I have a baby shower coming up (so excited!) I'm not exactly sure when I'll get the 33 week update posted so I thought I would go ahead and post a mid-week update. Last night Patrick and I had our final childbirth preparation class. This one was much more informative than previous sessions as we went through all the different medical interventions that might be necessary during the birth process. We watched a video about an epidural (I'm pretty sure I'll be having one of those unless something happens that prevents me from being able to get one) and learned all about a myriad of things that can go wrong and what procedures the doctors perform to address the different situtations. We also learned a lot about c-sections. Hopefully I won't have to go that route, but if I do at least I feel a lot more informed about the process. The funniest part of class was when the guys had to get into delivery position and practice the technique to effectively push out the baby while the girls served as their coaches. The best part was when the instructor told the guys they had to grunt and make noise through their pushes - I could not stop laughing. Just picture my husband in this scenario and you might crack up too! I'm not sure that there is a graceful way to do all of this, so I'm hoping that Patrick will be overcome by the miracle of our little boy and not remember me in this most compromising position!

Earlier today I went to the dentist to have my filling repaired. Having dental work done while 32 weeks pregnant is not an ideal situation, let me tell you. It started off okay when they began to numb my mouth, but while I was laying back waiting for the numbing to take effect I could feel my blood pressure dropping and I started sweating profusely. When the dental assistant returned I quickly asked for directions to the restroom to splash some water on my face. After that I felt completely fine, so I think it happened simply because I was laying on my back for so long (and evidently that is not an ideal position during pregnancy because it cuts off blood supply or air flow or something like that - if only I could actually remember the real reason!) While my dentist was drilling Ethan decided to respond with swift kicks in my abdomen and rib cage. Every time there was a loud noise he responded. I'm not sure if he was scared of the noise or thought that it was time to party! It was not fun, but I'm glad to have it over with. My dentist did say that it was smart to come in now because leaving that hole for the next two months would have more than likely caused me to need a root canal and a crown on the tooth down the road instead of the much more manageable filling repair. It's all fixed up now and Ethan has calmed down considerably. Fingers crossed I won't need any additional dental work between now and the time Ethan arrives!

Our little Rocky turned 2 this week as well. I'll have to post some pictures of his birthday festivities. He is definitely still a baby and loves to be carried around and cuddled all the time. I'm not sure if it's because we've always babied him or if this is his natural disposition, but he is an absolute sweetheart and we are so lucky to have him in our lives. Caddy loves having this playful guy around and they are best buds. (Spot and Holly are best friends and generally steer clear of this crazy pair.) He's been terrified of all the thunderstorms that have been rolling through here the past couple of days, so I've been doing my best to take excellent care of the "baby man."

Well, that's about it from here so far this week. I'll do my best to keep updating in a timely manner, and hopefully the rest of this week will be fairly uneventful.

2 comments:

Mama10EE said...

You are going to spoil me with mid-week updates! :) Glad your tooth was fixed and you avoided a root canal...can you imagine?!?! We are getting so very excited for Ethan's upcoming arrival. Gosh, it won't be long now!

Mama10EE said...

Oh and I totally forgot to tell you I just about spit my milk out through my nose thinking of Patrick pushing!